Full-Time Job Art Studio Technician, Department of Art
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
• The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, Department of Art
• Education: Master’s Degree
• Job Type: Full Time Permanent
This position will work with students, faculty and staff who utilize the Art department’s facilities and equipment. This position will also assist the director of the Cress Gallery to construct exhibition displays and with departmental faculty and staff to assist in the maintenance of the Art facility on a project-basis.
• Overseeing the day-to-day operations and maintenance of the Wood and Metal Shops and Sculpture area facilities, ensuring that all equipment operatives effectively and safely, facilities are clean and efficient, supplies are stocked and available, equipment and work are stored properly, and major obstructions are removed from around machinery and work areas.
• Assisting the day classes conducted in the Wood and Metal Shops by providing technical and safety help and appropriate training; providing instruction to student covering woodworking, metalworking, and fabrication processes and techniques to help the students complete their work, to include providing workshops and one-on-one consultations.
• Assisting faculty and staff in the maintenance of the Art facility; on an annual basis supervising the refurbishment of undergraduate studios, as well as classrooms in the Fine Arts Center and Bretske Hall.
• Conducting mandatory shop safety training for all students and staff who utilize the facilities; providing technical assistance to students and staff unfamiliar with the equipment or procedures in the Wood and Metal Shops.
• Providing day-to-day management of the operating budget covering supplies, materials, equipment, and student monitors; in coordination with faculty, ensuring that adequate funds are available to maintain or replace equipment and tools, as well as supplies, and determining capital purchases; purchasing supplies, equipment and services as needed.
• Repairing defective hand and power tools or servicing machinery.
• May be required to teach up to one course per semester.
• Master of Fine Arts in sculpture, fine arts, or a related field.
• Experience maintaining a woodworking, metalworking, or sculpture facility or related professional artistic experience working with wood/building/carpentry/metal/fabrication.
• Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Excel, and word processing software.
• Experience with a table saw, radial arm saw, panel saw, band saws, planer, drill press, pedestal disk sander and belt sander, dust collection equipment, and various electric and pneumatic woodworking tools.
• Experience with MIG welders, TIG welder, oxyacetylene gas welder, plasma cutter, metal chop saw, angle grinders and various metalworking tools.
• Experience with plaster and mold-making facilities, pressure pot, sewing machines, ceramics wheels, ceramic kilns, and various electronic media.
• Ability to work effectively with a diverse community of students and faculty in the use of equipment and application of processes and techniques towards achievement of creative goals. Must be able to work independently and troubleshoot problems with minimal supervision.
• Must have demonstrated ability to deliver professional service, educational training and consultation, and effective team project work.
• Strong communication, collaboration, organizational and time management skills including the ability to multi-task, prioritize, and independently manage a changing workload and schedule in a wide variety of settings and situations.
Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until position is filled.
Apply on line:
|• Job Title:||Art Studio Technician, Department of Art|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||Department of Art|
|• Location:||Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States|