Arts Presenter, Venue and Business Manager
- Lean Arts Managment:
Over ten years experience bringing audiences and artists together for meaningful and memorable experiences in performing arts venues.
- Strategic planner with the ability to clarify roles and identify key value streams that achieve desired financial and customer outcomes.
- Service leader that empowers staff and supporters to leverage their strengths in support of the mission.
- Extensive experience in facility rental, booking, contract negotiation, marketing, public relations, and technical production with resident and non-resident companies, community groups, exhibitors, agents and artists.
- Activity based accounting approach to identify value streams and minimize waste.
- Extensive experience preparing event and operational budgets.
Masters of Business Administration – Quality Management, Ferris State University
Master of Arts – Speech and Drama, University of Wisconsin – Superior
Bachelor of Arts – Communication and the Arts, University of Wisconsin – Green Bay
Principles and Techniques of Fundraising – Lilly Family School of Philanthropy
Executive Director, The Ramsdell Theatre, September 2013 to December 2016
• Oversaw day to day operations of 43,000 sq. ft. historic theatre, art gallery and ballroom. Events included community theatre, art exhibits, weddings, dance recitals, graduations, meetings and festivals. Supervised one part time caretaker, volunteers and contracted labor.
• Booked and presented roots and blues music, tribute bands and MET Opera Live in HD. Increased ticket sales by 300% to $60K in first year.
• Revived fundraising efforts, updated donor list and initiated annual campaign raising over $10K. Received grants from Arts Midwest and the Michigan Humanities Council.
• Helped transition management of facility from City of Manistee to the Ramsdell Regional Center for the Arts, a 501 (c) 3 nonprofit volunteer based organization.
Director, The Whiting, Flint Cultural Corporation, February 2009 – October 2010
• Managed $2.8 million dollar budget, six full time employees, contracted services, stagehand union, and 100+ volunteer corps in operating a 2043 seat auditorium.
• Programmed twenty event Whiting Presents Series; increased sales by 58% to $1.3 million, reduced operating deficit by 72%. Series featured Touring Broadway, Celebrities, Jazz, Blues and World Music.
• Outreach and education initiatives resulted in 11 performances and 14 workshops serving 4100 students and 605 aging adults.
• Reorganized ticketing operations to improve financial integrity and safeguard customer information.
Williams Auditorium Manager, Ferris State University, 1999 – 2009
• Scheduled and managed 1700 seat auditorium; responsible for ticketing, front of house, and technical services for 80 events per academic year.
• Initiated and programmed Live! At Williams Performing Arts Series; included community outreach program; funded by grants, ticket sales and concession income.
• Doubled use of Auditorium while reducing cost per attendee from $2.10 to 28 cents.
• Proposed and oversaw upgrade of lighting and sound system.