|Career Status:||Actively looking|
|Willing to relocate:|
|Willingness to travel:||Willing to travel|
- Karen Williams Photography:
Multitalented editorial photo editor with experience in photo researching, producing, assisting, photography and image management in publishing. Experienced in organization, time management, and managing multiple publications in a deadline-driven industry. Collaborative and intuitive when working within a team environment as well as passionate in creating amazing work while being able to stay within a budget.
- Adobe Photoshop/Bridge/InDesign CS6 Photo Mechanic
- In Copy
- Media Grid
- Telescope (DAM)
- Digital Imaging
- Canon camera systems
- Photo Shoots
- Content Management
- Image Management
- Administrative Skills
- Social Media
Master of Fine Arts, Photography, May 2008
Savannah College of Art and Design: Savannah/Atlanta, GA
Bachelor of Fine Arts, Photography, May 2006
St. Edward’s University: Austin, Texas
AARP, Washington, D.C.
Assistant Photo Editor & Researcher, September 2014- Present
• Assist in photo research and collections of imagery for AARP publication The Bulletin and website
• Handle daily editorial and web staff photo requested such as printing contact sheets, collecting images for their use, requesting images on their behalf, and verifying photo credit/caption information.
• Upload high res photos into the DAM and ensure are metadata is written in the correct format.
• Upload and organize photos in CMS for the AARP Editorial Web staff
• Brainstorm visual concepts for stories with photo editors and designers
Karen Williams Photography, Atlanta, Austin, Birmingham, San Antonio, and Washington D.C.
Freelance Photographer, Photo Editor & Photo Researcher, May 2008-Present
• Assisted in photo research for Oxmoor House for two publications: Southern Living’s Christmas and Garden books.
• Photographed a food feature for San Antonio Magazine September 2011 issue at Zinc Bistro and Wine Bar.
• Photographed cookies and products for Lily’s Cookies for their website.
• Photographed Purity Botanicals product line for their website.
• Researched and prepared a power point presentation featuring photo stories produced under the director of photography of Cooking Light magazine.
Oxmoor House, Birmingham, AL
Principal Editorial Photo Researcher, August 2013-August 2014
• Researched photos from the Southern Living’s archive for Southern Living Christmas All Through The South.
• Researched photos from the Southern Living’s archive and stock photos for Southern Living Garden Book.
• Researched and obtained photos for other various project/publications for Oxmoor House.
Southern Living Magazine, Birmingham, AL
Photo Assistant & Researcher, October 2012- August 2013
• Assisted the director of photography and associate photo editor with the production, collection, and organization of images for the five sections (Home, Garden, Travel, Regional, Food) in the publication.
• Handled daily editorial staff photo requested such as printing contact sheets, collecting images for their use, requesting images on their behalf, and verifying photo credit/caption information.
• Researched and requested all stock and loaner photos for the travel and regional stories in each issue as well as set up photo shoots for the High/Low feature in each issue.
• Ensured that all stock and loaner photos have proper meta data entered and meet the required specifications to run in print, tablet, and website.
• Verified that high res photos in the design layout, during production week, are ingested into Media Grid.
• Supported the four staff photographers with the gathering of supplies, props, and equipment for photo shoots in the photo studio.
San Antonio Museum of Art, San Antonio, TX
Public Relations & Marketing Assistant, January 2012-April 2012
• Photographed events and lectures held at the museum such as SAMA Celebrates The Chinese New Year, Gallery talks, First Sundays for Families, Bank of America Series Lecture: The Goddess and King, and Music on the Move: Greece, Rome and Egypt.
• Helped organize and select images from the museum archive for PR/Marketing material.
• Obtained imagery for SAMA Facebook page.
• Provided assistance with calling, emailing, and distribution of promotional materials.
Austin Monthly Magazine, Austin, Texas
Photo Assistant & Researcher, November 2010-April 2011
• Assisted the photo editor with research, collection, and production of photos for the publication.
• Helped on feature and fashion photo shoots around the Austin area. Picked up and returned any prop used during the shoot.
• Ensured that all photos were uploaded and place on the server for the art and production department.
• Photographed the Restaurant Guide in each issue as well as other features in the style and design sections.
• Photographed local shop openings, parties, and fundraisers for the magazines on the scene section.
Ink Publishing, London, England
Picture Desk Assistant & Researcher, August-September 2008
• Assisted four photo editors with the research and collection of photos for 19 travel related publications.
• Handled all incoming photo requests from PR, companies, and people wanting copies of photos and issues of the publications.
• Assisted on local photo shoots around London with the two staff photographers.