Creative Producer / Writer / Editor / Manager with Extensive Music Industry Experience
- Brendan Davies' Be Known Profile:
For 7 years from March, 2007 until February, 2014, I managed the New York City office of 3x Grammy-winning recording artist Roberta Flack. Within the context of this job, I wore many hats and accomplished many things.
I now seek challenging, meaningful, and lucrative full- or part-time employment in the music business or another creative field related to my skills and experience. I am looking for the right fit with the right company, employer, or freelance / consultancy opportunity.
- artist management,
- audio production,
- event production and tour management,
- merchandise management,
- performance and recording contracts / rider authorship and oversight,
- project management
- Capacity for leading and working with multidisciplinary teams. Proven communication skills. Demonstrated problem solving and decision making abilities. Integrity, discretion, and appropriate assertiveness. Accuracy and attention to detail. Ability to multitask under extreme pressure while adhering to deadlines.
- Cantonese Chinese conversational fluency,
- French conversational flduency,
- Hebrew survival-level functionality,
- Mandarin Chinese basic conversational ability,
- Spanish basic conversational ability
2009 – 2010 Berklee School of Music Online, Boston, MA. Coursework in Music
Business, Music Marketing.
2004 – 2007 Ann Ruckert, New York, NY. Masterclass: Theory, Musicianship, Voice.
2001 – 2003 Pyramid Recording School, Keansburg, NJ. Audio Engineering Program.
1994 Duke University, Durham, NC. Bachelor of Arts with Distinction. Cultural
Anthropology. Winner of McDade Prize / Top Departmental Honors.
2007 – 2014 Roberta Flack DBA Magic Lady, New York, NY. Business Manager / Personal Representative / Executive Producer:
· Business Office Manager for three-time Grammy-winning
recording artist Roberta Flack.
· Central business officer for team of attorneys, accountant, band and
crew, artist management, booking agents; liaison to venues, publicists,
reporters, charity organizations.
· Dedicated in-house travel agent (US and overseas) for 17-person group
including artist, road management team, musicians and production crew.
· East Coast touring Road Manager 2011-2012.
· Authored all private event performance contracts and addenda.
· Managed administrative / clerical tasks; scheduled personal and
business appointments, musician rehearsals, recording studio sessions.
Accomplishments in this Position:
· Executive Producer, 2012 Roberta Flack CD, Christmas Songs, Varese
Sarabande / SCION Music. Composed liner notes.
· Production Coordinator, 2012 Roberta Flack CD, S.O.U.L Live, Sony
Music Entertainment. Extensive research and song screening process.
· Production coordinator / copywriter / photo archivist, 2009 Roberta Flack
Australia Tour Playbill.
· Author of hundreds of official personal statements, speeches, quotes,
and press releases pertaining to all aspects of Artist’s career.
· Comprehensive research, assembly, and cataloging of Artist’s personal
archive of over 700 unreleased live and studio recordings culled from 8
different physical locations over a period of 5 years.
2003- Present Freelance Writer, New York, NY:
· Tape Op Magazine Senior Contributor: published interviews include:
Walter Sear, Mike Patton, Richard Barone, Phil Ramone, Elliot Mazer.
· Various biographies and website copy, including: Lea Lorien, dance
music artist; Jonathan Bell, musician and composer; Ann Ruckert, music
industry consultant and educator.
2001 – 2010 Independent Recording Engineer. Hoboken, NJ and Brooklyn, NY:
Songwriter and band demo projects; live on-location recording; sound
editing; vinyl, reel to reel, tape-to-CD audio transfers and restoration.
2008 – 2010 What You Are, 12-song CD by Artist / Composer Jonathan Bell.
Production Consultant and Recording Engineer:
Consulted with Artist during all phases of album production. Devoted
semester-long Berklee School of Music online class to writing marketing
proposals for this project; earned A in course as a result of this work.
2003 – 2005 Songwriters Guild of America, New York, NY. Audio Engineer:
Recordist for weekly ProShop college radio show featuring interviews with
and networking advice from top music industry professionals.
2003 HarariVille Studios, Weehawken, NJ. Assistant Engineer / Intern:
Mic and equipment setup; session notes and documentation; studio and control
room maintenance, general administrative tasks, offsite work.
2003 QUAD Recording Studios, New York, NY. Intern / General Assistant:
Responsible for studio and control room cleanup, delivery of masters to labels and
other studios, procuring client needs from area merchants.
2001 – 2003 Pyramid Recording, Keansburg, NJ. Apprentice, Audio Engineering and Production:
Assisted jazz fusion composer / producer / instrumentalist Lou Massa in private
recording facility. Graded coursework plus independent study.
Groups & Associations
- Current / former member of NARAS Audio Engineering Society Songwriters Guild of America